"Founded on value, growing on value"
Chris and Anna Mr. T.P. Hughes' slogan has been synonymous with the Tenby independent department store since it commenced trading as 12 High Street on September 29, 1903.
Having trained at William Owen, a large department store in London, he brought fresh ideas back to his native Pembrokeshire. For 20 years, he did all the buying, specialising in soft furnishings and linens and employing around 20 assistants. Flash from Tenby Observer-Click here for full size His son Sidney was born on the same day the shop was opened, and joined the firm in 1922 when a branch was opened in Haverfordwest. This was followed by the opening of the Carmarthen store in 1932. After T.P. Hughes died in 1936, Sydney became managing director and, supported by his two sons, Tom and David, worked hard to provide department store facilities for the local community until his death in 1985. Tom and David ensured continued prosperity with a payroll of some 220 staff until late in the 1980's when independent stores became victim of the world recession.
The Hughes family were hard - pressed to save their business and in 1987 the freehold property in Carmarthen was sold. Tom and David set about de-merging their business equity and in 1989 the Haverfordwest Business became known as Tom Hughes (now successfully run by Tom's son and daughter-in-law, Michael and Elaine, who have also re-opened in Carmarthen). The original store in Tenby came under sole control of David's family, and his wife, Dawn, became company secretary. David's son and daughter, Chris and Anna, became successful buyers before taking the reins following his retirement in November 2003.